Recipes & Dieting Tips: Tips to Move the Scale Down
Tips to Move the Scale Down
1. Get up when the TV commercials come on. Not only will you burn some extra calories, but you will also avoid some of the food triggers seen in commercials that would otherwise get you to open the frig.
2. Write it down - keeping a food diary and tracking what and how much you eat will not only keep you more accountable, but will also keep you more focused during the day and limit the extent of an occasional indiscretion.
3. Limit yourself to only one carbohydrate or sugar item per day. And if your physician permits, consider only eating these carbs/sugars only once daily on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays (keeping Mondays through Thursdays as carb/sugar free days).
4. Find a partner with whom you can regularly 'check-in' with and keep tabs on one another's progress and exercise routine. The greatest motivation and accountability occurs with a partner.
5. Exit your subway/bus stop at least 2 stations sooner and walk the remaining distance to your work or home.
6. Instead of taking the elevator, walk up 3 flights and down 4 flights.
7. Keep tabs on your walked steps with the many new electronic wrist pedometers that also can download and track your activity right to your computer.
8. Eating out tonight? If so, tell the waiter to put half the meal in a 'doggie bag' before bringing the meal to the table.
9. Cut out the sugar drinks...such as: fruit juices, sodas, energy drinks, flavored coffees, and smoothies (even freshly made smoothies are loaded with 'natural' sugars and carbs).
10. Cut down the alcohol to no more than 1 or 2 drinks per week.
11. Chew your food more slowly. Savor each bite.
12. Don't watch TV while eating. You will not appreciate the food you are eating nor realize how much you mindlessly swallowed.
13. Go to bed early. Those who sleep fewer hours tend to eat more and gain more weight.
14. Keep checking your inbox and our Facebook posts for regular tips to keep you on track. Little reminders during the month will keep you motivated.